When Jesus saw the crowds, He went up on the mountain; and after He sat down, His disciples came to Him. He opened His mouth and began to teach them.
Matthew 28:19, 20
“Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.”
There is a difference between a disciple and an apostle.
A disciple can be thought of as a pupil - one who is in the process of learning.
An apostle is a sent one - one who is ready to go out into the world and teach others what they themselves have already been taught.
Jesus taught His disciples for three and a half years before they were ready to graduate to apostle - before they were ready to be sent out into the world to preach the Gospel and teach others what Jesus had taught them.
Before you and I can become Jesus’ apostles we must first become Jesus’ disciples. We must learn of Jesus and we must learn from Jesus. We must come to know Jesus before we can tell others about Jesus.
Other believers who are more mature in the faith than ourselves can help us become disciples and apostles of Jesus. But we must always remember that Jesus Himself is the only true Teacher.
John 13:13
“You call Me Teacher and Lord; and you are right, for so I am.”
A disciple can also be thought of as a follower whereas an apostle is a leader.
Before you and I can be a leader for Jesus we must first become a follower of Jesus.
Unfortunately, there are people out there in the world today who are leading the people but who are not following Jesus.
John 10:27
“My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me;”
So…
Who are you followin’?